Digital Democracy: Legislation Protecting a Competitive Free Press is Too Important to Fail presented by iPoliticsDATE: Thursday, April 29th, 2021
TIME: 12:00 PM Eastern Time
- John Hinds, President and CEO of News Media Canada
- Janet Silver, iPolitics Managing Editor
- Brendan Dowling, Minister Counsellor – Americas Region Department of Home Affairs Australian Embassy, Washington DC
- Damian Collins, Member of Parliament for Folkestone and Hythe, UK House of Commons
- Christopher Wylie, Canadian data consultant who previously worked at Cambridge Analytica
This is an iPoliticsLIVE partnered event with News Media Canada. More
Join us for a non-partisan policy discussion with an international panel of experts who will share their insights on the global impact of big tech.
New business models and platforms have emerged in the digital age that require new regulations and enforcement mechanisms.
Heritage Minister Steven Guilbeault is preparing to table legislation that will regulate big tech platforms and require them to pay Canadian news agencies for their content.
Homegrown journalism and a competitive free press are pillars of a healthy democracy. iPoliticsLIVE will address the policy-driven nature of the legislation and international efforts to find solutions – from an insider’s perspective.