The Empire Club of Canada
The Future of Live Music in TorontoJune 16th 12 pm - 1 pm Panelists:
- Aida Aydinyan, General Manager, Performing Arts, Royal Conservatory of Music
- Andrew Burashko, Founder and Creative Force, Art of Time Ensemble
- Brian Iler, Chair, Hugh’s Room Live
- Molly Johnson, Award-Winning Jazz Vocalist, Mother, Singer-Songwriter, Artist and Philanthropist
- Mike Tanner, Music Sector Development Officer, City of Toronto
- Garvia Bailey, Arts Journalist, Producer, Broadcaster and Co-Founder of Jazzcast.ca
The live music industry in Toronto has been decimated by the forced shutdown of public gatherings in the city. Many venues where musicians perform were already under pressure due to rising real estate costs. Many were forced to close and some will never re-open. But even for those that will, who knows when performers will be able to share their work in front of a large audience again? Live performance has been key in the career development of so many artists. Who knows what the live music scene will look like as we begin to emerge from shutdown.
Our panel will speak to the future of venues that feature our artists and several artists will talk about how important live performance has been in their careers.